Most of the finger-prick tests we provide only require one small tube of blood (occasionally two) and most people manage to provide enough blood for the laboratory to be able to perform their test. To give you the best chance, we provide 3 lancets within our finger prick kits, so you can try another finger if at first you don’t succeed. Follow our tips to help things go more smoothly:
- Hydration is very important. Drink plenty of water before the test.
- Testing when your hands are cold can be more painful and can restrict blood-flow. Warm your hands up in some warm water before you begin.
- Do a little light exercise before you start, to get your blood pumping - Jogging on the spot for example.
- Try using the sides of your finger rather than the pad as this can help blood-flow.
- Let gravity help you - stand up to take your sample and be gentle when massaging your finger to avoid damaging blood cells.
If you need any more help please contact Customer Care who will be able to talk you through this process.